Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Mahavishnu Orchestra - Jabborwocky, Syracuse, N.Y. 1971/11/04- FM



AS POSTED ON DIME HERE

Mahavishnu Orchestra
November 4, 1971
Jabberwocky Inn, Syracuse, NY

Source/Quality: aud

Intro/Tuning
Miles Beyond
Dream (?)
Vital Transformation
Dawn
Sanctuary
Awakening

John McLaughlin (g)
Jerry Goodman (vln)
Jan Hammer (el-p, synth)
Rick Laird (el-b)
Billy Cobham (d)

the above is the original info file for this posting.
this is a remaster of torrent #152886 uploaded to dime
on July 1st, 2007 by filos35.
This recording was apparently originally sourced from a WAER FM broadcast (or possibly the pre-fm sbd of it). I believe it to be a stereo recording, although parts of it do sound pretty mono too.

You can't call it jazz, or progressive rock. This is the earliest recording I've ever heard of the greatest FUSION band in the world (past, present or future, imho)

remastering notes:
runtime here is 77:58 (same as before, no files were edited)
This may be the only torrent I've DL'ed twice on dime-
because the 1st time I found myself with "fla" files,
and had no clue what to do about that so I couldn't decode
my DL of this show to WAV for disc. Then someone in the
comments for the original posting said if you add a "c"
to "fla" files they basically become (decodable) flac files
(with flac frontend). I tried that and got the files used
for this remastering. I did not notice any sign of a problem
with any of the files themselves.

I found there to be several tracks where the left side was
considerably overaccentuating compared to the right. This
might be a good idea in politics but it doesn't sound so
good in a Mahavishnu concert. Otherwise this recording is
pretty decent sound (far from outstanding however) except
there were several erratic level changes (not just from the
music) in several of the tracks. I have adjusted the levels
to balance out the whole show including the erratic changes
so they may not even be noticable any more. I found some of
them quite annoying and detracting to the continuity of this
fine music, and I know only some Maha. fans have the ability/
software/time and/or patience to fix that so I'm sharing my
fix of it. Also being very familiar with Maha. music helps too.