Sunday, January 20, 2008

The Tonight Show - The Branford Marsalis Years Vol. 1



AS POSTED ON DIME HERE

The Tonight Show - The Branford Marsalis Years Vol. 1
(NTSC DVD) (XP/LPCM, 55m)


Comments: I've been wondering for ages what would be the best way to get some of
the hundreds of my nice late-night, US TV clips out there. This is one way I've
decided on.. I had forgotten that the musical guests got nine minutes or so back then, much longer than today's guests. Please note that all of these clips are dubs from one VCR to another that I made at the time so they are not the very best possible quality. They are still very watchable, though, in my opinion. Needless
to say, the music is great and Branford himself participates in most of the
performances. The interviews with Wynton & Branford are also hilarious.


Commercial Availablility: To my knowledge none of this material has ever been commercially available.


Setlist:

Eddie Palmieri (August 21, 1992)
1) Tune 1
2) Tune 2 (w/India)

A Tribute To Miles Davis (August 24, 1992) (Wayne Shorter, Ron Carter, Herbie Hancock, Tony Williams & Wallace Roney)
1) All Blues
2) Miles Tribute Medley

B.B. King & Friends (August 13, 1992) (Buddy Guy, Dr. John, Kim Wilson)
1) Let The Good Times Roll
2) Every Day I Have The Blues

Robert Cray (September 11, 1992)
1) I'm A Good Man
2) Interview
3) Just A Loser

Wynton Marsalis (September 17, 1992)
1) Ellington Tune 1
2) Interview
3) Ellington Tune 2

Branford Marsalis (September 24, 1992)
1) The Roof You Choose (with Albert Collins)
2) Interview
3) Rib Tip Johnson


Lineage: Cable TV > VCR 1 (SP, HiFi audio) > VCR 2 (SP, HiFi audio)> S-VHS deck >
Panasonic DMR E-85 (hard drive > DVD-R) > Any DVD Ripper > TMGenc DVD Author 3